IDF Is Down... Again

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• mercfan3 wrote:

Yea, it's working for me too.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention this board over there. But I'd like too.

And it's not that I want to only post here. I'll post in both places...but if IDF was to crash again..I'd like the refugees to know where to go...
      Since it's still up and down, perhaps a message along the lines of...

If IDF is unstable, check out thevoiceforums.com

or something like that in the general thread, etc.?
    • mercfan3 wrote:

Yea, it's working for me too.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention this board over there. But I'd like too.

And it's not that I want to only post here. I'll post in both places...but if IDF was to crash again..I'd like the refugees to know where to go...
      I don't think it's a problem to post it on IDF. A couple of posters on Scotty's IDF forum posted about the new Scotty forum multiple times even before IDF went down. Those posts weren't moderated & those same posters still posted today on IDF so it doesn't seem like there were any consequences for posting about a new forum.
    • I put a link to here in my sig on IDF.

TV1: Javier Colon| TV2: Juliet Simms| TV3: Cassadee Pope| TV4: Danielle Bradbery| TV5: Jacquie Lee| TV6: Christina Grimmie| TV7: Reagan James| TV8: Meghan Linsey| TV9: Emily Ann Roberts| TV10: Alisan Porter| TV11: Wé McDonald| TV12: Lauren Duski| TV13: Chloe Kohanski
      AI1: Kelly Clarkson| AI2: Kim Caldwell| AI3: Diana DeGarmo| AI4: Carrie Underwood| AI5: Chris Daughtry| AI6: Jordin Sparks| AI7: David Cook| AI8: Allison Iraheta| AI9: Siobhan Magnus| AI10: Haley Reinhart| AI11: Jessica Sanchez| AI12: Angie Miller| AI13: Jena Irene| AI14: Jax| AI15: Sonika Vaid|
    • Here is what Buzz had to say about the latest outage, as posted to IDF:

I want to apologize about the issues lately. But we're back and on a temp basis until we can work out a more permanent solution.

But a few clarifying points first.

We cannot goto proboards or any other hosted board solution. We simply have traffic levels that don't work well with hosted solutions and also technically it's not possible, you can't convert things like that and expect everything to work, unless you're willing to spend hundreds of hours fixing stuff. It's like trying to put a hybrid engine into a gas car and expect it to just work. No the car has to be designed as a hybrid first and if it wasn't, be prepared to spend time to change everything. Not gonna happen. Even if it were technically possible, what usually happens at our traffic level on a hosted board solution, it'll just be unusably slow and they'll offer you dedicated servers at a much different price.

This is why we have dedicated servers that we purchased on our own. Bad news was that some of the hardware we had started failing and we did our best to repair it, but we had to wait for parts to come in and that process doesn't happen in days, but in weeks. And when those parts finally came but the server itself died and wouldn't start anymore, so that's why we've been completely dead for a few weeks now. Tom has spent the last 3 weekends running around and looking for parts and coordinating with me (he lives in Canada and I've moved to California) on getting this up and running again. Timezones are never fun. That was our goal, getting it up, even if it meant it wasn't going to be operating at 100%. It's still not very stable...i'm hoping it'll at least be better than the previous month before that.

What's going to happen now is that I'm going to spend some time to migrate us to more modern cloud-based technologies rather than running off of dedicated servers that we own ourselves. I've been meaning to do this for awhile now but never found the time. In the mean time, we're running on our last dedicated server and I hope it won't die like the other one did. I'm just hoping it'll hold until I can finish the migration.

Regarding the "real life" part, this is NOT our job. Tom and I both have full time jobs and families with kids. IDF is at best, a hobby for us. Something we do in our spare time. We take time, normally reserved for spending with our families (after work) to fix these server issues. We do this because we want to, not because we have to. This next part, I'm going to come off as rude but I'll chance it to say that frankly, I don't owe you anything. If you like it here, you can stay. If you don't, you can leave. That's the beauty of choice. You have the freedom to choose. If starting a forum is your choice, I wish you the best...it is a pretty awesome experience. You get great times and you can crappy ones like this. But you go into either situation with a light heart and as long as you enjoy doing it, it'll be rewarding in its own way. But please don't come here and tell me what I should or should not do and then demand that I give you a reason why I can't do it. If you were an expert in application infrastructure, you'd already know, and if you're not (which is totally okay), it's complicated to explain, which is why we give simple answers like it's not possible.

Look, I get that it's frustrating when things don't work. I'm not exactly here enjoying the downtime. I also get that we're terrible at communicating what's happening behind the scenes, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that I made a choice. In some cases, I chose my family first. That's all. We definitely could do a better job explaining but explaining technical details in a way that makes sense isn't easy and we decided to spend our time trying to fix the problem instead. I'd ask for patience but I know a number of you have run out and for that I am sorry. Only know that if things go down again, I get automated alerts, and I will be there trying to fix it, even if you can't see me.

Anyway, I just wanted to give an update on this since I do feel bad for the radio silence over the last few months. I'm moving again, I've started a new company, my son's graduating middle school, my daughter is going to kindergarten...it's just been crazy. And IDF isn't first on my priority list, I'm sorry. I wish i could find more time to do this. Btw, I'm not looking for sympathy, just wanted to share the situation and hope you can understand it from my view point.
    • Thanks for posting that pcacala, nice to know what the situation is. Hopefully things get worked out in due time.

TV1: Javier Colon| TV2: Juliet Simms| TV3: Cassadee Pope| TV4: Danielle Bradbery| TV5: Jacquie Lee| TV6: Christina Grimmie| TV7: Reagan James| TV8: Meghan Linsey| TV9: Emily Ann Roberts| TV10: Alisan Porter| TV11: Wé McDonald| TV12: Lauren Duski| TV13: Chloe Kohanski
      AI1: Kelly Clarkson| AI2: Kim Caldwell| AI3: Diana DeGarmo| AI4: Carrie Underwood| AI5: Chris Daughtry| AI6: Jordin Sparks| AI7: David Cook| AI8: Allison Iraheta| AI9: Siobhan Magnus| AI10: Haley Reinhart| AI11: Jessica Sanchez| AI12: Angie Miller| AI13: Jena Irene| AI14: Jax| AI15: Sonika Vaid|
    • sw5110 wrote:

The signature and avatar rules at IDF state the following: We do not allow linking in signatures to other forums that compete with any Neurox Media board.
      Oops thanks for this i didn't know that

• sw5110 wrote:

TeamAudra wrote:

Istersay has been advertising her Sawyer site on IDF since before it went dark, so I don't see why it would be a problem to link to this site.

It's still not working well for me. Life's too short.
      Did she advertise it in her signature?
      Also, she is a moderator so ...
      I didn't say anything about signatures. And...it shouldn't matter if she's a mod. How could she credibly tell others not to advertise other sites on IDF when she's doing it herself? Actually, considering the site still doesn't work, I suspect she'd probably let it slide.