Season 9- Finale Results

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• mercfan3 wrote:

I thought Jacquie was awkward too. (Unpolished may be a better word?) But she was still raw and emotive. There's no fear there. Emily goes for it, even if it looks a little weird.
      True, whereas when Danielle was on the show, she was more reserved and didn't too much in terms of movement. That's something that I'm happy that she's worked on and has improved tremendously since winning the show 2.5 years ago.
    • jwhite0316 wrote:

mercfan3 wrote:

I thought Jacquie was awkward too. (Unpolished may be a better word?) But she was still raw and emotive. There's no fear there. Emily goes for it, even if it looks a little weird.
      True, whereas when Danielle was on the show, she was more reserved and didn't too much in terms of movement. That's something that I'm happy that she's worked on and has improved tremendously since winning the show 2.5 years ago.
      I sometimes forget that many country music vocalists often seem to just stand there and sing. Blake is a good example of that. Pop music people seem to work the stage and put on more of a "show". Danielle has developed a stage show in response to people complaining about her stage presence. She dances and works the stage. She even has her band dance with her (Sway, etc). Why is that do you suppose? Is it because her music leans more pop country? Will Emily get away with just standing there waving her arms and sing or will she have to have more of a stage show? Many of the female country artists have more of a stage show I think. Taylor Swift is marvelous on stage, not that I care for her recent music. Jenifer Nettles is more country, but still is great on stage.

Just wondering how it will go for Emily. If she has a major hit record early on she might be able to do less on stage, I dunno.
    • TeamAudra wrote:

I think people who are expecting instant success for Emily (there are a lot of them) need to temper expectations. Thinking at leadt 2-3 years down the road is more realistic. Even then, the odds are long, IMO.
      Completely agree. She's going to be successful but its not going to come instantly. I see it being more of a path similar to the one Danielle is on.

TV1: Javier Colon| TV2: Juliet Simms| TV3: Cassadee Pope| TV4: Danielle Bradbery| TV5: Jacquie Lee| TV6: Christina Grimmie| TV7: Reagan James| TV8: Meghan Linsey| TV9: Emily Ann Roberts| TV10: Alisan Porter| TV11: Wé McDonald| TV12: Lauren Duski| TV13: Chloe Kohanski
      AI1: Kelly Clarkson| AI2: Kim Caldwell| AI3: Diana DeGarmo| AI4: Carrie Underwood| AI5: Chris Daughtry| AI6: Jordin Sparks| AI7: David Cook| AI8: Allison Iraheta| AI9: Siobhan Magnus| AI10: Haley Reinhart| AI11: Jessica Sanchez| AI12: Angie Miller| AI13: Jena Irene| AI14: Jax| AI15: Sonika Vaid|
    • kclarkson1323 wrote:

TeamAudra wrote:

I think people who are expecting instant success for Emily (there are a lot of them) need to temper expectations. Thinking at leadt 2-3 years down the road is more realistic. Even then, the odds are long, IMO.
      Completely agree. She's going to be successful but its not going to come instantly. I see it being more of a path similar to the one Danielle is on.
      Agreed. My dad was a big fan of Emily's all season and was saying she was going to be the next Carrie. I just laughed and had to explain to him the struggles of females in the genre. I said during season 4 that Danielle was the next Carrie before I started to study up on the country music business. Very different time than in 2005. She, like Danielle was 2.5 years ago, is brand new and will take time to become a big success.
    • jwhite0316 wrote:

She, like Danielle was 2.5 years ago, is brand new and will take time to become a big success.
      ...but she lacks the big pure voice that Danielle was born with. Still.... even with that big voice she has not been able to break out. I know you objected earlier when I said Emily is way prettier, but I stick by that and it is ...at this point ....her best and most marketable attribute. Doubt that is enough. Despite Gwen's "Forget about it" hyperbole songwriting would give her only real shot she has at a creer IMHO. Unless, of course, she really improves her vocal skills/ability ...I don't see that happening but ya never know.

TBH I don't see big careers for anyone this season ....but I bet Jordan could have a nice career by Broadway standards if he want ti go that route.

Jeffery broke his voice in the last week of the show ....so if that heals a big maybe at a career shot for him.
    • There is something unique about Emily though.

As much as I always like them, we see the beautiful blonde country belter contestant once every couple of seasons on these types of shows. So much that it's an archetype. There isn't that much room in country for more than one or two. (Unfortunately. I think country should invite them all in and get rid of the numerous Sam Hunt's around, but that's just me.)

But Emily sticks out in a different way. She was Sawyer or Mia Z. like to me, in that..this girl..completely knows who she is as an artist. It's left of center. And it's not as commercial as country/R&B/pop hybrid (nor will it ever be.) But Emily's blue grass sound is impressive to me. That sort of musicality out of such a young person impresses me.

And it's not normal. Contestants like her, Sawyer, and Mia aren't normal. Most singers have to experiment to find their sound. Jacquie Lee and Danielle are the norm in that way. It's not surprising that both have gravitated to a more commercial sound. (And I'd imagine that's where they want to be.)

On the attractiveness note, because it touches on something that kind of took me by surprise. Personally, I don't know where they get these teenage girls from. (Straight out of the pretty little liars Universe?) Brooke Adee is so pretty, I'm pretty sure she's not actually human. I think Emily is adorable.

But Danielle..I don't know what happened, but girl got hot. Like, not even cutesy hot, or so pretty you use hot interchangeably but maybe incorrectly..just hot. (And it doesn't feel right saying that, because she was on tv as a teenager..)

Great Things Come In Small Packages
    • mercfan3 wrote:

There is something unique about Emily though.

As much as I always like them, we see the beautiful blonde country belter contestant once every couple of seasons on these types of shows. So much that it's an archetype. There isn't that much room in country for more than one or two. (Unfortunately. I think country should invite them all in and get rid of the numerous Sam Hunt's around, but that's just me.)

But Emily sticks out in a different way. She was Sawyer or Mia Z. like to me, in that..this girl..completely knows who she is as an artist. It's left of center. And it's not as commercial as country/R&B/pop hybrid (nor will it ever be.) But Emily's blue grass sound is impressive to me. That sort of musicality out of such a young person impresses me.

And it's not normal. Contestants like her, Sawyer, and Mia aren't normal. Most singers have to experiment to find their sound. Jacquie Lee and Danielle are the norm in that way. It's not surprising that both have gravitated to a more commercial sound. (And I'd imagine that's where they want to be.)

On the attractiveness note, because it touches on something that kind of took me by surprise. Personally, I don't know where they get these teenage girls from. (Straight out of the pretty little liars Universe?) Brooke Adee is so pretty, I'm pretty sure she's not actually human. I think Emily is adorable.

But Danielle..I don't know what happened, but girl got hot. Like, not even cutesy hot, or so pretty you use hot interchangeably but maybe incorrectly..just hot. (And it doesn't feel right saying that, because she was on tv as a teenager..)
      Yeah I don't where they find these girls but my goodness they find some beautiful ones. Jacquie is another one who's really hot and now 18 so I can say that. :lol

TV1: Javier Colon| TV2: Juliet Simms| TV3: Cassadee Pope| TV4: Danielle Bradbery| TV5: Jacquie Lee| TV6: Christina Grimmie| TV7: Reagan James| TV8: Meghan Linsey| TV9: Emily Ann Roberts| TV10: Alisan Porter| TV11: Wé McDonald| TV12: Lauren Duski| TV13: Chloe Kohanski
      AI1: Kelly Clarkson| AI2: Kim Caldwell| AI3: Diana DeGarmo| AI4: Carrie Underwood| AI5: Chris Daughtry| AI6: Jordin Sparks| AI7: David Cook| AI8: Allison Iraheta| AI9: Siobhan Magnus| AI10: Haley Reinhart| AI11: Jessica Sanchez| AI12: Angie Miller| AI13: Jena Irene| AI14: Jax| AI15: Sonika Vaid|
    • mercfan3 wrote:

There is something unique about Emily though.

I agree on all these points. Emily's sound, a lot like Sawyers and Mia's is unique. I don't see her changing her sound too much. I, like Spurrious, prefer Danielle's super strong powerful voice but I see the appeal of the others as well.

For attractiveness, it all depends on the person. Brooke, facially, is as close to perfect as you can get. She has a stunningly beautiful face. I like you find Emily adorable. Not really hot, but a really cute girl. I thought the same of Danielle when she was on the show (I personally found her slightly prettier than Emily at the same point in their career.) Danielle has morphed into someone who is hot. I've met her a 3 times since March and she is gorgeous. But in terms of marketability based on their looks, I don't think either has a big advantage over the other. I think if you ask 100 people who is more attractive, it'll be close to 50/50.
    • I honestly don't see anything special or unique about Emily's Voice. I'm not necessarily talking about lack of power. Belting doesn't impress me much unless it's really, really good belting. I've always felt like her voice is incredibly thin and generic....even in her studios. Maybe it will develop more over the next couple years because she did improve a lot over the course of the show. Insert Emily's voice inside Shelby's body, and nobody would pay attention. Yes, looks almost always matters with these contestants, but it is especially true with Emily.
    • TeamAudra wrote:

I honestly don't see anything special or unique about Emily's Voice. I'm not necessarily talking about lack of power. Belting doesn't impress me much unless it's really, really good belting. I've always felt like her voice is incredibly thin and generic....even in her studios. Maybe it will develop more over the next couple years because she did improve a lot over the course of the show. Insert Emily's voice inside Shelby's body, and nobody would pay attention. Yes, looks almost always matters with these contestants, but it is especially true with Emily.
      That could apply to apply to the music business in general. I think Kelsea Ballerini has a little bit better voice than Emily's but she doesn't have an amazing voice like Danielle. What's helping her become a bigger star is her songwriting and marketability. Part of that marketability is her drop dead gorgeous looks. Would anybody pay attention to Kelsea if she didn't look the way she does. If she was in Shelby's body instead of her own. Maybe not. I believe that Emily will continue to improve and will have a fairly successful career.
    • TeamAudra wrote:

I honestly don't see anything special or unique about Emily's Voice. I'm not necessarily talking about lack of power. Belting doesn't impress me much unless it's really, really good belting. I've always felt like her voice is incredibly thin and generic....even in her studios. Maybe it will develop more over the next couple years because she did improve a lot over the course of the show. Insert Emily's voice inside Shelby's body, and nobody would pay attention. Yes, looks almost always matters with these contestants, but it is especially true with Emily.

Her tone is definitely thin. Although I wouldn't call her tone generic. I will say though, she does have an array of abilities with her voice that are unique. (strong head voice, growling, yodeling etc..)

Like I said, what was special about Emily was how well aware she was in what she wanted to do. (And that what she wanted to do was blue grass.) That makes her less marketable than a potential crossover country artist. But it's also pretty unique.

Great Things Come In Small Packages
    • TeamAudra wrote:

I don't know that I'd call her voice generic but you're definitely right, put her in Shelby's body and we wouldn't be discussing Emily right now. Unfortunately image matters today as much if not more than the voice.

• kclarkson1323 wrote:

TeamAudra wrote:

I don't know that I'd call her voice generic but you're definitely right, put her in Shelby's body and we wouldn't be discussing Emily right now. Unfortunately image matters today as much if not more than the voice.
      Imagine if we could transplant Shelby's voice into Emily's body. Superstar potential.
    • Shelby's voice is very good but she did have timing issues. That said if you gave Emily Shelby's fullness and power then you would have something special.