Tori Kelly

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TV1: Javier Colon| TV2: Juliet Simms| TV3: Cassadee Pope| TV4: Danielle Bradbery| TV5: Jacquie Lee| TV6: Christina Grimmie| TV7: Reagan James| TV8: Meghan Linsey| TV9: Emily Ann Roberts| TV10: Alisan Porter| TV11: Wé McDonald| TV12: Lauren Duski| TV13: Chloe Kohanski
      AI1: Kelly Clarkson| AI2: Kim Caldwell| AI3: Diana DeGarmo| AI4: Carrie Underwood| AI5: Chris Daughtry| AI6: Jordin Sparks| AI7: David Cook| AI8: Allison Iraheta| AI9: Siobhan Magnus| AI10: Haley Reinhart| AI11: Jessica Sanchez| AI12: Angie Miller| AI13: Jena Irene| AI14: Jax| AI15: Sonika Vaid|
    • Tori Kelly on Her Brush With Prince, Fame After a Decade of Trying and How She Proved Manager Scooter Braun Wrong

Two nights after performing in Minneapolis, the 10th stop of an 18-city North American headlining tour, Tori Kelly sits in a room at downtown Atlanta's Omni Hotel, still buzzing from a chance encounter with the Twin Cities' most famous resident: Prince. "It's a story I'll be ­telling for the rest of my life," she says, recounting how the legend seemed to appear out of nowhere at Minneapolis' Varsity Theater just as she began a cover of "Kiss." After the show, a member of his 3rdEyeGirl backing band invited Kelly to his home, where she played pingpong and was eventually summoned to meet the musician himself. "I don't think I said that much," she says. "I was just smiling the whole time, and he was there, wearing a turban. Then he disappeared into thin air. I didn't see him again after we spoke."

The experience is just one of many music milestones already notched by the 22-year-old known for her R&B-pop fusion sound and impressive vocal range. Born an hour outside of Los Angeles in Wildomar, Kelly credits her love of music to her parents -- a nurse and a construction worker -- who are both proficient ­instrumentalists who often played gospel music at home. "My mom and dad say that before I could even talk, I was humming melodies and reacting to songs," says Kelly, who is of Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Irish, German and English descent.

Kelly's success story has been nearly a decade in the making, thanks in large part to digital platforms like YouTube and reality TV. At 11, she won America's Most Talented Kid, which led to a deal with Geffen Records that she says was "huge but also a blur. I was in all of these studio sessions, writing with all of these people, but I didn't even know who I was." At 16, she made it through to Hollywood Week on American Idol, then went viral on YouTube two years later with a cover of Frank Ocean's "Thinkin Bout You" (she currently boasts more than 1.1 million subscribers). At 20, she signed to Capitol Records and in 2014 spent time opening for Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith, who has said her voice "is like candy covered in honey."

In May, much like Ariana Grande's breakout moment a year prior, Kelly's acoustic performance of "Nobody Love" at the Billboard Music Awards sparked early Grammy buzz. "One of the reasons you'll see her doing more stripped-down sets on TV is that there's nothing we need to conceal," explains Capitol Music Group ­chairman/CEO Steve Barnett of her appeal. "We're in an era where real artistry often competes with prepackaged 'acts,' and there's no studio trickery involved with Tori."

Though Kelly's name has floated around the industry for years, her exposure has yet to yield a high level of ­commercial success -- which manager Scooter Braun (Grande, Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen) aims to change. "I remember telling her, 'You're the most talented person I know, but you're boring. People think you're ­boring. They think you're vanilla,' " says Braun. "But Tori is ­resilient. The next day she came to my house and said, 'I wrote a song about what you said, and it's called 'Unbreakable Smile.' "

For Kelly, who says she has "had to learn the dark sides of the industry -- who to trust and who not to trust," that track fittingly became the title of her debut full-length album, Unbreakable Smile. The record, which is packed with catchy, pop-laced tracks like "Should've Been Us" (which rises to No. 32 on the July 4 Mainstream Top 40 chart), illustrates the influence of ­mega-producer Max Martin, who has worked with superstars Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus. But despite the pop bona fides, Kelly, who often begins the writing process by recording a melody or lyric on her iPhone, says she won't drift far from her roots. "Soul is at the base of the album; soul is what makes me me. The pop came after, and it's like the sprinkles on top."

TV1: Javier Colon| TV2: Juliet Simms| TV3: Cassadee Pope| TV4: Danielle Bradbery| TV5: Jacquie Lee| TV6: Christina Grimmie| TV7: Reagan James| TV8: Meghan Linsey| TV9: Emily Ann Roberts| TV10: Alisan Porter| TV11: Wé McDonald| TV12: Lauren Duski| TV13: Chloe Kohanski
      AI1: Kelly Clarkson| AI2: Kim Caldwell| AI3: Diana DeGarmo| AI4: Carrie Underwood| AI5: Chris Daughtry| AI6: Jordin Sparks| AI7: David Cook| AI8: Allison Iraheta| AI9: Siobhan Magnus| AI10: Haley Reinhart| AI11: Jessica Sanchez| AI12: Angie Miller| AI13: Jena Irene| AI14: Jax| AI15: Sonika Vaid|
    • I recently just started listening to her since I saw her on the iTunes charts, and I like her a lot. I Was Made For Loving You (feat. Ed Sheeran), Dear No One, and Nobody Love are my favorites from her album. ^^

I also went back and saw she auditioned for AI where Simon said her voice was annoying. That man is a joke.
      Cause when I'm down and I'm done, and I'm coming unplugged
      When I'm ready to fall
      You're the one always holding me up
      With Love ♫
      - CVG
    • Ryan wrote:

I recently just started listening to her since I saw her on the iTunes charts, and I like her a lot. I Was Made For Loving You (feat. Ed Sheeran), Dear No One, and Nobody Love are my favorites from her album. ^^

I also went back and saw she auditioned for AI where Simon said her voice was annoying. That man is a joke.
      I don't think he was too far off actually, she kind of did have an unpleasant tone back then so I get where he was coming from. Great news is she's worked that out and is now an incredible singer.

TV1: Javier Colon| TV2: Juliet Simms| TV3: Cassadee Pope| TV4: Danielle Bradbery| TV5: Jacquie Lee| TV6: Christina Grimmie| TV7: Reagan James| TV8: Meghan Linsey| TV9: Emily Ann Roberts| TV10: Alisan Porter| TV11: Wé McDonald| TV12: Lauren Duski| TV13: Chloe Kohanski

• TV1: Javier Colon| TV2: Juliet Simms| TV3: Cassadee Pope| TV4: Danielle Bradbery| TV5: Jacquie Lee| TV6: Christina Grimmie| TV7: Reagan James| TV8: Meghan Linsey| TV9: Emily Ann Roberts| TV10: Alisan Porter| TV11: Wé McDonald| TV12: Lauren Duski| TV13: Chloe Kohanski
    • kclarkson1323 wrote:

Ryan wrote:

I recently just started listening to her since I saw her on the iTunes charts, and I like her a lot. I Was Made For Loving You (feat. Ed Sheeran), Dear No One, and Nobody Love are my favorites from her album. ^^

I don't think he was too far off actually, she kind of did have an unpleasant tone back then so I get where he was coming from. Great news is she's worked that out and is now an incredible singer.

If that was season 10 or season 8 or season 11..it's a fair criticism...but in a season where Lee won.. :P

Great Things Come In Small Packages
    • mercfan3 wrote:

kclarkson1323 wrote:

Ryan wrote:

If that was season 10 or season 8 or season 11..it's a fair criticism...but in a season where Lee won.. :P
      Fair point, that was the worst season of all time. :D

• Lol. I didn't think it was annoying, and he didn't really give her any credit whatsoever for the things she was able to pull off. I do agree she's a lot better now. It's kinda funny how Ellen was a judge on that show with her not making it far, and she's been on the Ellen show performing twice now.
      When I'm ready to fall
      With Love ♫
      - CVG
    • Here's her BET awards performance from last night that really turned some heads.

bet.com/video/betawards/2015/p…y-robin-thicke-ne-yo.html

• This girl just keeps crushing it. I love that they are simply letting her voice blow people's minds. In today's industry where most of you're pop stars aren't great singers she's a breath of fresh air and people are taking notice.

Chart Date: 06/30/2015
      Last Updated: 06/29/2015 16:57:49

BREAKING BENJAMIN
      DARK BEFORE DAWN HOLLYWOOD 132,604

TORI KELLY
      UNBREAKABLE SMILE CAPITOL 59,879

KACEY MUSGRAVES
      PAGEANT MATERIAL MERCURY NASHVILLE 49,265

• Chart Date: 06/30/2015

1. BREAKING BENJAMIN
      DARK BEFORE DAWN HOLLYWOOD 141,134

2. TORI KELLY
      UNBREAKABLE SMILE CAPITOL 65,002

3. KACEY MUSGRAVES
      PAGEANT MATERIAL MERCURY NASHVILLE 53,549

• This girl is the truth, the more I watch of her the more impressed I become. I'm not saying she has the entire deck of cards Kelly possesses but I see a little Clarkson in her. You just don't see that strong and consistent of a singer much anymore, she's a gem.

• Kelly covering Kelly

Also a new Tori performance

• How did I not discover this girl sooner? Within a matter of weeks she came one of my all time favorite artists. I've been on a Tori listening binge for the past few days now.
      When I'm ready to fall
      With Love ♫
      - CVG
    • mercfan3 wrote:

You know it's a tough song when Kelly struggles with it..(and lowers the key)
      Yeah some of that is it being a difficult song and some of it is Clarkson still working on rounding her voice back into shape after being so sick during her pregnancy. This was the first show of her tour and with her demanding setlist her voice was toast by the time she got to fan request. Make no mistake though Tori is one hell of a singer and shares Clarkson's rare ability to be consistently great.